Wednesday, April 26, 2017

period 3 ignite talks

Elizabeth: Are children smarter because they're on the Internet?

Karen: Why are women represented in negative ways?  Images on the Internet portray female bodies in unrealistic ways -- pretty and skinny, and this makes real people develop unreal expectations.  I looked at a lot of videos and the women all look the same.

Adrian: action speaks louder than words; football comeback;

Elias: how to turn nothing into something; over the break I tried to go beyond my limitations, and I learned it takes heart, drive, and motivation.  You shouldn't stop doing something you love.

Klieff: global warming is a serious threat; I'm doing research on the Internet, and I learned that it's getting serious.  The sea level is rising, by as much as seven inches by the end of the century.

Ofelia: Topic is why people can't control their anger.  Some people get into conflict This is connected to Fahrenheit 451 because the book is fill

Nicol: My topic is racism because I have lived with it all my life.  I see a connection with the course because in Fahrenheit 451 they talk about books and knowledge.

Jocelyn: Why can't we have free tuition for college?  I looked up resources and found arguments for this online.  It gives us knowledge and helps people.

Jason: How to become a barber.  Over the break I got a haircut.  I started learning about getting a license to cut hair.  Connection: everyone in here needs a haircut.

Marcos: How to become a tattoo artist.  The first step is drawing, so I drew a lot over break.  Then I'll ink pig skin.

Giovanni:  What makes people creative?  You have to live in a creative state and open your heart and mind.  Everyone is creative in their own way, like in the books we read in this class.

Isaias: How can we provide food without being cruel to animals?  I researched PETA and other resources, and my next step is to change my own eating habits and become a vegetarian.

Chris: How to become a barber.  Over Spring Break I researched the program I'll need to get my license.  But I also realized I needed to familiarize myself with the tools and cut some hair to see if I like it enough to commit.

Jose: Why can't everyone get along?  Why are some people racists or narrow-minded?  Over the break I did some research and looked at current events.  Connection: in The Great Gatsby Tom was a racist.

Angel: What does it take to become a police officer?  Over the break I talked to my uncle because he's a former police officer.  He said to study criminal justice and get a degree.  From my online research I learned that you also need to overcome your own challenges, like we're getting over being nervous so we can present today.

Jaime: My masterpiece is about joining the military.  I researched some websites about what it takes to join, and my next step is to identify any obstacles I need to overcome in this process.

Etzell: My big question is, Will I ever succeed?  Since I was a little girl I've had a passion for singing.

Satchel: How can we upgrade education?  How can we make the school system more like this cool?  I researched Montessori and combined it with Open Source Learning.  This is going to take a long time and my next step is to research the standards and qualifications that are required to adopt this learning system in schools.

Carlos: Why do people get into school so much?  Why do they care or do community service?

Karen:(NO SHOW)

Maria: Is time real?  In reality, are we in the right time or do we just believe what others tell us?  Why do we always have to hurry-- just because others tell us to?  Connection: people always rush to get things done.

Elizabeth: (NO SHOW)

Victor: What religion is the true religion of God?  Judaism, Christianity, and Islam all make claims.  Next steps: I plan to read the texts of Christianity and Islam.

Katie: Different learning types.  I learned a little about this in my Intro to Education class, and I worked with my Dad to put this in practice.  People learn visually, auditorily, and kinesthetically.

Vivian: Animal behavior.  I did some research online and I also tested training ideas on my pig.  Experimenting taught me a lot.  Animals respond to facial expressions. My next step is to interview a professional animal behaviorist.

Alin: How to become a professional performer of Ballet Folklorico. Connection: they get paid for every dance they do, just like we get grades for everything we do.

Emily: I've been thinking about how we learn with Open Source Learning, and I'd like to introduce this program in Mexico.  I think they would make more use of this than we do here.  We can volunteer at schools.

Robert: What is the best route to become a police officer?  Over break I talked to my cousin and my next step is

Luis: Finding vintage clothing online or thrift stores.  Over the break I learned that it's easier to find deals and selection in big cities.  Eventually I plan to open an online store to resell clothes.

Alex: Create my own clothing brand.

Richard: Why does music have such a big impact on people?  Keep listening to music.  Connection: in Fahrenheit 451 some of the things in the book are actually happening in our culture.

Elvis: Why don't school counselors help students with their real problems?  Counselors just put you into classes.  Next steps: talk to therapists and see what we can do

Jay: How to become a mechanical engineer.  I learned that you have to have a 4-year degree.  Over the break I talked to racers.  I want to learn more about the best college in California where I can study this.

Brayan: Profiling teachers... (to be continued)


No comments:

Post a Comment