Wednesday, April 26, 2017

period 4

Cesar: Why does it seem like there is a limit to how good you can be at something?  I interviewed my track coaches and I learned that our bodies and minds trick us into believing our limitations.  Connection: in F 451.  Next step: I'm going to interview a professional runner I met on Instagram.

Eric: What does it take to be a photographer and create meaning through pictures?  I've learned to use sunlight and compose pictures to tell a story.  Connection: in F451 the lady getting burned with her books means different things to different people.  Next steps: get more information and learn more about photography.

Trevor: Why does the week start on Sunday and end on Saturday?  Over break I did some research but didn't get any answers.  One thing I learned was that being around baseball so much made me lose track of time.  I just want to know how we started this 7-day tradition.

Jose: Why do people criticize each other for what they do and say?  This was a big part of Fahrenheit 451 and we see it in society.

Leo: The use of nuclear weapons.  They are used mostly for threats and destruction.  I learned that the US spends $173B and our most powerful bomb is 75x more powerful than the bombs we dropped on Japan.  This relates to F 451, and also to current events like with North Korea.  I need more information about this

Alicia: Why do people judge without knowing you?  I did some research and talked it over with my friends.  Connection: Earth on Turtle's Back because the other animals didn't think he could do it.

Cynthia: Why don't I know what career I want to pursue?  Over break I researched to see what careers were well-paid.  Of the careers I studied, I realized I wanted to be a nurse because they help people.  Now I need to do more research about becoming a nurse.

Sokrates: I am exploring how to properly build a business.  Over break I asked my uncle about this because he owns three successful restaurants.  He said that I should start with family, because he worked for his uncle until he saved enough to buy into the business as a part-owner and grow from there.  I am going to ask more of my uncles because they also own their own businesses

Miguel: Why do we work for everything?  This connects with the course because we have to work for grades.  I want to keep researching this topic.

Angelina: Is there an afternlife?  I researched claims from people who said they died and came back.  Connection: Young Goodman Brown.  Next I will continue my research.

Roxanna: Is time real or is it an illusion?  I think it is an illusion.  My next step is to research Dr. Preston's book on time.

Isaac: What am I going to be in the future?  I love music and I visited my cousin.  Music connects everyone.  Next steps: I'm going to keep researching music

Aiden:Why don't people believe in life beyond Earth?  In F 451 books are rejected.  I have more research to do to see whether we can gather enough information for people to believe in life elsewhere.

Giselle: Why are people on their phones the whole time?  Even little kids like my niece are on social media the whole time.  Connection: we spend a lot of time on our phones in this class.

Jackie: Why do we get so much homework when we spend seven hours in school every day?  I took a proper Spring Break and was more able to come back and focus.  I want to learn more about this.

Ana: Why does time go by so fast when you're having a good time and why does it go so slow when you want the day to be over?  One thing I learned over break is that if you help someone out you can do amazing things in time.  One thing I can do is spend my time more wisely.

Daniel:  How would a person's life be without a phone or any technology?  I tried to go a whole day without games or videos and I couldn't.  Connection: F 451 robot dog.  Next step is to ask others what they would do.

Blake: My topic is how psychedelic drugs (like LSD and mushrooms) affect the human brain.  I learned that these substances are meant to alter perception.  Connection: this class causes me to think differently. Writing in a journal and having Socratic seminars make me use different parts of my brain-- I guess this class is like a psychedelic drug.  Next step is to talk with people who have researched or experienced these substances.

Patti: Are dreams related or connected to past lives?

Claudia:  Is change good?  Over the break I asked my cousin and she said that it can be, if you're changing for yourself-- but that you shouldn't change for someone else.  Gatsby was wrong to change for Daisy.

Robert: Why are there so many different religions and cultures and ways of life?  Over break I talked to older people who are very religious.  They didn't really give me reasons, they just believe what they believe.  Next I want to talk to church leaders to see what they say.  Connection: Montag began to believe in a different way of being and then he wanted to convince others.

Araceli: I want to prepare for my career.  Connection: speaking in class.  I want to start interviewing people.

Michelle: Why do people judge in our society?  Connection: Gatsby couldn't be with Daisy because her parents wanted her to be with a rich guy.  Next step is to talk about this with friends.

Kaylee: How was Earth created?  I learned through research that Earth began about 4.5B years ago, and this relates to Earth on Turtle's Back.  Next I will interview an expert.

Eric: I want to learn more about war.  Seems like we've been at war for a long time and we're not solving any problems.  I learned that I wasn't really taking in what I learned until I gave my phone back to my mom, and now I look up and see what's around me.  Seems like war depends on someone thinking they're better than someone else.  Next I'm going to talk to my cousin.

E.J.: Why do police abuse their power and authority?  Over the break I watched a movie that was based on a true story and afterward I did some research.  My cousin is a police officer and next I'm going to interview him about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment