Wednesday, April 26, 2017

period 5 ignite talks

Andrea: Why is there still racism in 2017?  I noticed even when we made foodI asked older people including my Mom.  Next steps: I'm going to talk to more people and do more research.

Michael: Does life exist in other galaxies?  I Googled this and discovered that people believe there is life out there.  I connected this with Fahrenheit 451 and I plan to do more research.

Alex: Why are we considered adults at the age of 18?  I did some research and learned that some people start making better decisions then, but I also think at that age many people still have the mind of a child.  I need to do more research and think about the differences between 18, 21, and older.

Ruby: Why do some people really enjoy having their alone time?  I talked to my mom about this, and I am focusing more on my own alone time.

David: My topic is about art-- I always thought art was fascinating and inspiring.  I look up to Claude Monet.  This is loosely connected to the course in terms of creativity. I hope to visit a museum.

Amy: What does it take to start a popular clothing line?  Connection with class is just looking at people to see what they're wearing.  Next step: research new trends and incorporate into design to increase popularity.

Mario: What are the benefits of living a plant-based lifestyle v. being a meat-eater?  Over the break I saw live buffalo-- these animals are huge, powerful, and fast, and they eat nothing but plants.

Dom: What's the difference between wanting and waiting?  You want a job, a boy/girl friend -- what inspires us and motivates us to get what we want?  What are we waiting for?

Andrew: How do I improve my writing skills?  Over the break I focused on social media and reading online.  I spent a lot of time texting people.  In this course we write essays and I want to practice that next.

Beatrice: Why do people commit suicide instead of getting help?  Over the break I watched "13 Reasons Why" about a girl whose friends betrayed her.  It reminded me of the lady in F 451 who died for her books.  In the show the girl shut down and killed herself.  Next step: I'm creating a blog where people can share their feelings and express themselves.

Alexis: How can we have a healthy lifestyle?  I asked Coach Wallace and he said exercise and eating right can help.  I'm going to talk to my other coaches and ask how they eat and what they do.

Cynthia: Why do people get old and age?  I looked online and found this happens because of DNA replication.

Avelina: Why is social media so important in people's lives?  I did some research and found that FOMO (fear of missing out) matters.  Next step: I'm going to try lowering the amount of time I spend on social media.

Jesus: What makes us human?  What is the difference between us and Artificial Intelligence?  I read articles about robots and they are not self-aware.  Connection: the mechanical hound in F451 was not really dead or alive.  Next I'm going to do more research.

Jesus O:  Can you trust your gut?  Over the break I worked in fields and it was hard.  I am still picking strawberries because I am trusting my gut.  Is this right?  I also found a beautiful beach because I trusted my gut.  Connection: "Immigrants in Our Own Land."

Ricky: Why is weather so bi-polar?  Blazing heat and then it freezes my toes off.  Over break the weather in Cancun was extreme.  I am going to do more research.

Noelia: Why do people judge each other?  My aunt thinks it's because of racism and jealousy.  This reminds me of "On Self-Reliance" because of what happens when you do things others don't understand.

Tanya: I am interested in cosmetology.  Over the break I took a class and learned you have to have passion and patience.  Next I'm going to practice more and take more classes.

Yamile: Will there ever be a cure for cancer?  Over the break I volunteered in a surgery center.  Next I'm going to watch shows about animals because scientists are making a lot of progress.  Curing cancer is like Open Source Learning, you can give others opportunities to

Alvaro: What is the difference between someone who goes pro and someone who plays for love?  I went on a site called Twitch where there are both types of gamers.  Pros told me it's all about practice and learning, and having the passion to practice and spend a lot of time.  Next step is to find new ways to learn from my mistakes.

Carlos: I want to cut hair.  Over break I watched my barber and I learned the longer you have a client the better he likes his haircut.  Reminded me of Gatsby.  I'm going to get clippers and watch a YouTube video.

Elizabeth: How are engines built?  Over break I learned about the components and how to change the oil.  I want to build an engine.

Adamari: I want to know why trained animals are still caged and tied up. I did research over break and learned that there is still a small chance they can attack.  This reminded me of F451 because the animals are trained to be the same and not think for themselves.

Sofia: What does it mean to identify as indigenous?  Over the break I went to Raza College Day and another conference about indigenous culture and expression.  Some students at our school speak Misteco.  I connected this with F451 in that they were trying to get Montag to forget who he was and fit in.  Now I'm going to do interviews and more research.

Frank: Why is America the biggest gangster out there?  After doing research I don't believe we're always the good guys.  We are only in Syria for the oil.  I plan to look more deeply into this.

Elyssa: Are words more powerful than weapons?  They hurt people emotionally where weapons just hurt people physically.  Next steps are to help people watch what they say.

Edmundo: Why are we judged by the color of our skin and not the content of our character?  I started this topic before I knew the quote from Martin Luther King, and I want to do more research on this.

Uri:  Why is business so risky?  I visited my brother in San Jose and he's going to start a Mexican restaurant.  I want to learn about the mistakes people make when they start businesses.

Carlos: My topic is math and physics.  Over the break I did more math problems and I read about physics.  Connection: F451 was all about advancements in science.  Next I will review concepts and practice more.

Devin (NO SHOW)

Victoria: Why do people follow new trends?  People want to fit in and feel secure.  This is similar to F451 because everyone wants to belong.

Angel: What would happen to a person inside a black hole?  I started doing research and I learned that we don't really know, but the forces inside a black hole are so intense that you wouldn't survive.

Jose: What do you need to become a civil engineer?  I spoke to an engineer and he told me that you just need creativity and math.  Connection: it's like this class because you have the freedom to design your own thing.  Next step: research four-year program.

2 comments:

  1. I found a connection,to my big question & this course it has to do with fahrenheit 451 how montag questions the norm of conformative thinking, & how many people are asleep to an unfortunate truth that montag just barely becomes aware of.

    ReplyDelete